Do you want to change your appearance? Then log into the gym and start bodybuilding. In this article I'll show you how to get started!
Are you dissatisfied with your appearance or your fitness? Have you decided to change something about it? Congratulations, you've already taken the first step. Unlike everyone who remains seated on the sofa, you will now tackle your goals. And this step by step.
Step 1: Go to the gym alone or with friends
You have decided to change your appearance and implement your goals. One advantage of the gym is that you can exercise alone whenever you want. But a training partner is a great motivation. Do you know someone who also wants to lose weight, build muscle or get fitter? Ask him if you want to pursue your goals together! You are more motivated when you have an appointment with a friend to do sports together. You can motivate and support each other. And you find it harder to skip a training session.
Step 2: the right gym for you
Today there are a large number of gyms competing with each other: fitness chains and owner-operated gyms. Here is a list of some of the advantages and disadvantages:
Nobody can tell you whether a chain gym or an owner-run gym is a better choice for you. Which gym you should choose depends on what kind of performance you expect.
Chain gyms offer you a low price and are usually open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. You can train in any gym in the chain. For the low price, however, you cannot expect particularly intensive support. As a rule, the staff is responsible for the reception, supervision of the trainees and the cleanliness of the training area. More and more fitness chains are now also offering courses.
Owner-run fitness studios are usually more expensive than studios in a chain. In addition to limited opening times, you can usually only train in one or a few studios. The higher price and the limited training times, however, make up for the generally better support: The owner and staff take more time to answer your questions. You're not just a number, you're an important customer. Courses are also sometimes offered in owner-managed studios.
Step 3: Short checklist for your first workout in the gym:
To do bodybuilding in a gym, you don't need any special equipment. But you shouldn't forget these things:
- Sports shoes
- bottle of water
Excursus: hygiene in the gym
Those who exert themselves during sport also sweat a lot. It's only natural and should be. Because your body cools down by sweating so as not to overheat. So for your own hygiene and that of those around you, you should remember to use your machines when training Put a towel you have brought under. You definitely don't want to lie or sit in the sweat of your fellow human beings and your fellow human beings not in yours.
I would also like to advise you, you Wash your hands extensively after your workout. That may sound banal, but think about it: Wherever many people touch surfaces, bacteria and germs are transmitted. In public transport, when shopping and also in the gym. You don't need to be afraid of the transmission of bacteria and viruses. But just as you wash your hands at home after shopping or taking the train, you should also wash your hands properly after exercising. This simply reduces the risk of a cold or an infection.
Step 4: the right exercises
The first time you hit the gym, you may not yet know which exercises to start with. If you really have no experience with bodybuilding, I advise you to try out a training session. Arrange a trial training session with a trainer at the fitness studio and get advice. He will show you the premises, presumably present a plan for beginners and show you and explain the exercises described.
Don't be shy: everyone was once a beginner, you don't have to be ashamed of that.
Which exercises you should start with depends largely on 3 factors:
- What do you want to achieve
- What is your physical starting position?
- How often do you go to sport
I generally advise you to train your whole body at the beginning. This is how you avoid muscular imbalances! These can occur if, for example, you only train your chest but not your back. Or just the upper body, but not the legs. Due to imbalances, many people with sedentary activities have back problems. In principle, you are always training one muscle and also its opponent: biceps (front arm) and triceps (back arm) etc.
When doing a full body workout, you should do exercises for your chest, back, legs, arms, and abs.
Excursus: rules of behavior in the gym
In the gym, the same rules apply when dealing with people as in everyday life. Nevertheless, I would like to briefly address a few points in particular:
- Put a towel under you: Hardly anything is nastier than training in the sweat of your predecessor. So don't be a pig and put a towel under you to catch your sweat. Because with the right training you will sweat!
- In the gym, we are usually by 'you': Normally one uses the name of each other among athletes. We are not in the office or an authority. The 'you' is not a sign of disrespect, but rather an expression of equality in sport. Personally, I find it strange when 16-year-olds politely ask me with a 'you' in the gym if I'm still using a dumbbell lying in front of me.
- Feel free to talk to other people, but NOT DURING THE SENTENCE: It is not a problem to speak to strange athletes in the gym. Many listen to music during their workout to concentrate or to switch off. Don't be afraid to speak to her if you have a question. Or would like to use a dumbbell and are not sure whether you still need it. But don't talk to her while moving weights! Nothing is more annoying than being disturbed in the middle of an exercise. However, it is usually not a problem between exercises.
- Put away your weights when you finish an exercise: I assume that you are not 4 years old and your mother is putting everything away for you. So please put your dumbbells back in their place and the weights from the machines you were training on. You may be annoyed when someone hasn't put away their weights and you have to clear everything before you can start exercising.
Step 5: exercise regularly
The key to achieving your goals is exercising regularly over a long period of time. Just like learning a language takes regular practice, over time your body adapts and builds muscles where it needs them. In your training you set the stimulus to which he reacts.
There's no point in exercising yourself every day for a week and then not doing it for four weeks. Better go 1-2 times a week regularly to exercise and you will see your body change.
Did you like this article, have suggestions or want to say something?
Follow me on social media and write a comment! I look forward to your opinion.
- Tampa Pro 2020: Results and Summary 18. August 2020
- Arnold Classic 2020: Results and Summary March 10, 2020
- How do I get back into training after a break from training? January 9, 2020
- Mr. Olympia 2019: Results and Summary 14. September 2019
- Mr. Olympia: The most important competition in bodybuilding 18. August 2019